Sunday, October 21, 2012

De Kunst Van Het Snijden Haar

De Kunst Van Het Snijden Haar

Curious? ...the translation is "the art of cutting hair" in Flemish.  And I am one that has had a fair share of experiences in the hair cutting arena.  I have had my haircut in 3 countries, several states and 3 languages. 4 if you count Fayetteville GA (think Honey Boo Boo Child, she lives 2 hours away).  And don't be hating the Boo Boo child....I love me some Honey Boo Boo.

It has become easier over the years to tell a new stylist how I would like my hair cut.  Along the way, Ellen Degeneres, Halle Barry and Rhianna have all sported my do...therefore, I have always been able to give a visual to the person doing my hair.  But that has not stopped me upon occasion ending up looking more like a man than woman and have more than once felt that the dye job left  me looking more like Elvis black than Julia Roberts brown/red.  And there was the time in NYC when the girl insisted blow drying AND flat ironing my 2 inch hair.

I, by chance, located an Aveda salon here in Antwerp.  Over the years and moves I have made, they still seem to deliver the most consistent talent and cut. My new guy Enrico, from France was my new best friend for a minute.  Loved him!  He understood completely that the day before I had taken my own scissors to cut my own hair...a little over the ears, a bit on the top and blindly I cut off (what in my mind) was a full blown mullet look.  WTH was I thinking? Once again my impulsivity ruled me.  But it was nothing a little hair wax could not take care of for the 24 hours that followed.   I love Enrico and I love my new cut.

Many of you will remember the Sesame Street, "One of These Things is Not Like the Other" song....for those of you who do not I have included this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FClGhto1vIg&playnext=1&list=PLrsEHzLBMsgJCEIcNxSCV_3AF_xFi8Jhe&feature=results_video


Are you with me?

......take a look at the next 4 pictures.














So how did you do?  Did you guess which thing is not like the other?  Did you guess Ellen?  You're right Elmo.....she is BLONDE! (you did not think that I was going to say lesbian, did you?)

Wow..so much has happened since I last updated.  Kate graduated from college, Maddy graduated from HS, I lived in Dewey for the summer, moved Maddy to Chapel Hill, helped get Kate an apartment in Columbus for her new job at Abercrombie and Fitch headquarters, celebrated Sharon's 50th in 4 countries, had a pap, mam and colonoscopy all in 2 weeks.....clean as a whistle (it took all I could muster not to post the pics they gave me) and it has been a swift blurr of summer memories bouncing in and out of each other.


It would be unpatriotic of me not to mention so close to the election that I pretended to run for office in Dewey Beach this summer.  Why? Why not?  My "Bootsie for the Beach" made me laugh and for my birthday I decided to present myself with Bootsie for the Beach buttons...to the tune of 300+ buttons that I handed out (as always Marty was thrilled with my investment decision...).  What started out as a small joke became a daily venture as my posse of people gave out buttons and flags most of the summer to random people and took their pictures.  And in a valiant effort to outdo me, my expat girlfriends who moved back to the states, visited me in Dewey and actually had a flag made with my face on it.  (What did I run for?  Nothing and Irony.  I know I am a 53 year old with too much time.  It is okay to say that out loud and to my face).







This is just a smidge of the pictures. Sometime I will post a link to the others.

I rarely left my village this summer.  It was relaxing and for the first time in several years, the girls and I were under the same roof.  Marty made it for 2 weeks and Breana and crew made their annual beach vaca too.  Summer 2012 may be in the books but not far from my heart.  


I am glad to be back with Marty and dogs in Antwerp.  I look forward to exploring here in the land of Peter Rubens, master painter.  Fun fact?  He married a 16 year old girl after his first wife died....he was 52.  Big EW.  Lots to do and easy to get around here.  VISIT us.

Random:

I have not napped (other than on a moving vehicle which doesn't count because I have moving vehicle narcolepsy) in about a month.  Not sure what that means.  Could explain outbursts of crankiness.

Here is a store that we saw yesterday when walking around.  Did not feel a real urge to enter.




Today I went to a Sunday flea market and found these really fun old printing blocks.



And I am feeling especially Euro with my new shopping trolley.




I am reading "The Book of Mormon Girl" by Joanna Brooks.   A memoir of a girl struggling with the tenets of her faith.





  Da Da Da Da (translation...bye-bye bye-bye)  cracks me up every time I hear it.
peace and blessings from belgium.







No comments:

Post a Comment